Peter Newman’s new book launched
Peter Newman’s new book is here (Tim Beatley and Heather Boyer, co-authors): Resilient Cities, Second Edition: Overcoming Fossil Fuel Dependence (ISBN: 9781610916851/US$35.00). It shows how we are going in cities around the world in getting rid of fossil fuels and what more we can do. See https://islandpress.org/book/resilient-cities-second-edition
The book offer stories and insight for urban planners, policymakers, and professionals interested in creating more sustainable, equitable, and, eventually, regenerative cities. Most importantly, the book is about overcoming fear and generating hope in our cities. Cities will need to claim a different future that helps us regenerate the whole planet–this is the challenge of resilient cities. It has 6 core principles that are ideal for a short course:
1. Invest in renewable and distributed energy.
2. Create sustainable mobility systems.
3. Foster inclusive and healthy cities.
4. Shape disaster recovery for the future.
5. Build biophilic urbanism in the city and its bioregion.
6. Produce a more cyclical and regenerative metabolism
If you’d like to purchase a copy from Island Press (https://islandpress.org/book/resilient-cities-second-edition), use the code 4OVERCOME at checkout for a 20% discount. You can also order it from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and your local independent bookseller.
Please help me spread the word in some of the following ways:
• Forward this email to your friends, family, and professional networks.
• Share the book page and discount code (4OVERCOME) on your social media platforms (sample language below).
• Review the book on Amazon, Goodreads, or another review site.
• If you’d like to review it for a publication or website, you can request a review copy from email@example.com.
• If you’d like to use it in a class, you can request an exam copy at islandpress.org/request-exam-copy.
• Encourage your organization to ask firstname.lastname@example.org for details about a discounted bulk purchase.